What does your holiday season typically look like? If it’s like mine, it’s oriented around food and family. But often times, it comes at the expense of my good habits and routines.
So this year, I’m taking a more intentional approach to the last three months of the year and signed up for Rachel Hollis’ #last90days challenge.
The challenge is simple. Follow these steps, called the Five to Thrive, EVERY 👏🏼 SINGLE 👏🏼 DAY.
- Drink half your body weight in ounces in water
- Write down 5 things you’re grateful for (I use my Start Today Journal for this one, which also includes writing down my 10 big, hairy, audacious goals!
- Wake up and hour earlier than normal and use that time for yourself
- Remove a category of food from your diet
- Move your body for 30 minutes
Since we have two kids under two, and Conrad’s nursing is going really well (so I don’t want to change much since it’s working and he’s growing like a champ), I’m abridging two of the items to make it work for my life as it is right now.
- Presently, I’m nursing anywhere from 1-3 times a night depending on how Conrad’s doing, so instead of waking up an hour early which would be hard on nights I get little sleep, I’ve decided to instead give myself a set bed time and wake up time. So my goal for the 90 days is to be in bed and resting by 9pm, and then up out of bed and starting my day by 5:30am. However, if we have an epically bad night (we’ve had a few where my FitBit tracked a grand total of 3 hours of sleep 🙈), I reserve the right to rest.
- Instead of removing a category of food from the way I eat, I’m going to use a principle I learned during my health coach training at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition called “crowding out.” So instead of removing something from my diet, I’ll add something nourishing instead. Each month from October – December I’ll add something different, but to start it’s going to be a Fab Four smoothie every morning to start to day off right.
So that’s it! My plan to end the year with intention, joy, and gratitude. It starts October 1st, so if you want to join it’s not too late to sign up. Let’s keep each other motivated and accountable friends!
Hit me up in social at @mskatehouse and let’s share in this journey together 👊🏼